Sound Machine Preview: Overcoats
If you have been following us at all this year you hopefully would have found out about Overcoats. Not only have they played our SXSW Party, Middle of the Map and now they are playing a proper Sound Machine KC event at Record Bar. Since the release of their groundbreaking debut album YOUNG, Overcoats have taken 2017 by storm receiving critical acclaim, selling out shows worldwide, and being hailed as one of the breakthrough artists of the year. Additionally, NPR Music selected Brooklyn best-friend duo of Hana Elion and JJ Mitchell as the #3 Favorite New Artist of 2017 and called YOUNG “one of the best albums of 2017”, Billboard included YOUNG in their best albums of the year so far, and Entertainment Weekly lauded Overcoats as “a must-hear, breaking big artist”. They have performed on NPR Tiny Desk, World Café Live and Mountain Stage and have shared the stage with Maggie Rogers, Tennis, Matt Corby, Rhye, and more. Be sure not to miss their upcoming Sound Machine KC show at RecordBar! Tickets on sale now.
1) Who are the members of Overcoats and how did the band come together?
The members of Overcoats are Hana Elion and JJ Mitchell! We met in college about 6 years ago and started writing music together about 3 years ago. We wrote Little Memory in our dorm in college and decided we had to keep going.
2) How did you come up with the band name Overcoats, and does that name carry any significance or symbolism?
We wanted a name that would act as a protective layer, an ambiguous, gender neutral, coat of armor under which we could sing our hearts out!
3) Pretend you work in a record store and a customer comes in asking for recommendations. What would that customer have to ask for that would cause you to pick up an Overcoats record?
If someone wanted a unique mixture of folk and electronic music to take them on a journey of growing up as women in our generation.
4) Without throwing anyone under the bus, what’s been the strangest show you’ve ever played?
The strangest show we ever played was at the very beginning of our career-- we were living in Dublin, Ireland and we convinced the Italian restaurant on our street to hire us to play live music for the customers in return for feeding us and giving us each a large glass of red wine. However, the day of the show, hana lost her voice so the entire show was just JJ making 'ooh' sounds while hana played jazz chords on the guitar. We weren't invited back.
5) Describe your sound in three words.
Glossy, heart-wrenching, empowering!
6) 2017 has been a monster year for you, What are some of the highlights?
Oh man, this year has been incredible. Playing a Tiny Desk concert was a huge milestone for us. Touring in Europe was also so crazy. And of course, releasing our first album!
7) What is the next big thing for Overcoats?
If we told you, we'd have to kill you...JK. We're going to keep touring, and we're making a lot of new music...wink wink.
8) Overcoats are sculpting a Mt. Rushmore of their most influential people. What four faces do you carve?
Tom (our manager), Chris Martin (of Coldplay), Joao (our drummer) and Hannah Bernard (our bff).
9) Overcoats are in charge of making a three-song mixtape to send into outer-space. What three songs make the cut?
Magnets by Lorde and Disclosure, The Bucket by Kings of Leon, and Twice by Little Dragon.
10) If Overcoats had its own cooking show, what would it be called?
How to F*ck up Stir Fry.
11) What is each of your guilty pleasure song and/or album?
No guilt! But we love Attention by Charlie Puth, and Stay by Rihanna.