Sound Machine Preview: The Belle Game
January 29 at recordBar
Spirit is the Spirit
We are excited to for the return of Belle Game to KC. They played a fantastic set at Middle of the Map Fest in 2015 and we have been waiting for them to come back ever since. Their latest record Fear/Nothing was produced by Kevin Drew (Broken Social Scene) and David Hamelin (The Stills), and it yields 10 spacious tracks, balancing the lavender glaze of dream pop with reverberating feedback and pop-star massive choruses.
1) Who are the members of Belle Game and when did the band come together?
Andrea Lo, Katrina Jones, Adam Nanji, Alex Andrew.
The band came into its first incarnation over a summer night during a rushed rehearsal for Adam’s solo show which included Adam, Alex and I (Andrea). At the time Adam was still attending university in Montreal where he met Katrina, and we began separate divisions of the band until Katrina and Adam moved over to Vancouver in 2011. Since then the band itself has gone through multiple incarnations with different members, and has finally found a permanent home in this formation since 2014.
2) Why did you choose Belle Game as your band name, and does that name carry any significance or symbolism?
The name came by in a casual way at a time where we were still tinkering around with lighter sounds, Belle Game, translated to ‘The Beautiful Game’, which we deemed appropriate.
3) Pretend you work in a record store and a customer comes in asking for recommendations. What would that customer have to ask for that would cause you to pick up a Belle Game record?
An album that instigates catharsis, personal recognition, deep feeling and change.
4) Without throwing anyone under the bus, what’s been the strangest show you’ve ever played?
We’re lucky to say that none of our shows have been unsettlingly strange, so I’ll mention an amazing and unexpected show we played in Nijmegen, Netherlands where the venue was run completely by volunteers, and the gentleman who was the lighting tech/designer for the evening previously did visuals for Pink Floyd.
5) Describe your sound in three words.
Large, Cathartic, Honest
6) What is the next big thing for Belle Game?
We’re in it, continuing to tour our album Fear/Nothing, and continuing to connect with people all over through the vein of music and shared experience. Connecting with others is the big thing for us.
7) Belle Game is is sculpting a Mt. Rushmore of their most influential people. What four faces do you carve?
Karen O, Michelle Obama, Kevin Drew, Dave Hamelin
8) Belle Game is in charge of making a three-song mixtape to send into outer-space. What three songs make the cut?
Beautiful Blue Sky- Ought
You Look So Certain (I’m Not So Sure)- Mount Kimbie
It’ll All Work Out- Blake Mills
9) If Belle Game had it’s own cooking show, what would it be called?
Elevated Gas Station Food
10) What is each of your guilty pleasure song and/or album?
Any 90s CanCon