Sound Machine Preview: Walker Lukens
1) WHO ARE THE TOURING MEMBERS OF WALKER LUKENS AND HOW DID THE BAND COME TOGETHER?
Walker Lukens, Zac Catanzaro, McKenzie Griffin, Grant Himmler, Wes Essary. The short version is that we’re all Free Masons. The long version is there’s only one bar in Austin.
2) PRETEND YOU WORK IN A RECORD STORE AND A CUSTOMER COMES IN ASKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS. WHAT WOULD THAT CUSTOMER HAVE TO ASK FOR THAT WOULD CAUSE YOU TO PICK UP AN WALKER LUKENS RECORD?
What would it sound like if Wilco was Biz Markie’s backing band?
3) WITHOUT THROWING ANYONE UNDER THE BUS, WHAT’S BEEN THE STRANGEST SHOW YOU’VE EVER PLAYED?
We just opened for Incubus in the parking lot of a casino in El Paso. Pretty strange.
I played in a bar in Mississippi once where the mic was shocking the crap out of my lip during soundcheck. They couldn’t find a mic cover before show time so we had to use the sound guy’s dirty sock.
One time I played in an earthen teepee in the middle of the woods.
4) DESCRIBE YOUR SOUND IN THREE WORDS.
LIBERTÉ. EGALITÉ. JUSTICE.
5) 2017 AND SO FAR 2018 HAVE BEEN A BANNER YEARS FOR YOU, WHAT ARE SOME OF THE HIGHLIGHTS?
I know I should probably mention things like opening for Spoon at The Ryman or Bonnaroo—we’ve been lucky to get to play on some cool stages. Most of the highlights for me are non-musical things we get to do cos we’re touring; going to Fort Defiance in Illinois on our day off, eating at Roberta’s on my bday, driving down highway 1.
6) WHAT IS THE NEXT BIG THING FOR YOU?
I’ve spent most of this year in the studio working on my stuff ( we just released a single and another one is on its way,) producing some other artists (Tameca Jones track is gonna drop soon and it’s pretty fire,) and doing this thing called the Song Confessional. Zac and I turned an old camper trailer into a mobile recording studio. We made the entrance way into a catholic style confessional booth. An anonymous person tells a story or anecdote and then a songwriter writes and records a song with an engineer.
We’re about to take the confessional all over Texas.
7) YOU ARE SCULPTING A MT. RUSHMORE OF THEIR MOST INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE. WHAT FOUR FACES DO YOU CARVE?
Nina Simone, Elizabeth Bishop, my sister, Cat Power
8) YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF MAKING A THREE-SONG MIXTAPE TO SEND INTO OUTER-SPACE. WHAT THREE SONGS MAKE THE CUT?
Bob Dylan - Desolation Row (live at Royal Albert Hall)
Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
The Replacements - My Favorite Thing
10) IF YOU HAD YOUR OWN COOKING SHOW, WHAT WOULD IT BE CALLED AND WHAT WOULD BE YOUR SPECIALITY?
Things You Can Confidently Make While Tipsy With Walker Lukens. There would be a little segment each episode called “now look what the crockpot did!” Once the main dish was in the oven or on the stove, I’d walk over to my crockpot to show you what I’d stuffed in there the night before, like a shoe or onion, and I'd discuss what had happened to it.
11) WHAT IS YOUR GUILTY PLEASURE SONG AND/OR ALBUM?
I don’t see why anyone should have guilty pleasures in the era of Kardashian. That being said, I don’t think how much I play Jason Derulo in the van is really doing me any favors with my band.